Happy 4th of July! Take it Easy TodayLeave a Comment
Happy Friday! It’s my favorite day of the year!
If you’re American and celebrating America’s Birthday, July 4th weekend, please take it easy with food and don’t lose patience! You might be going to a family or friend’s party, possibly out to eat, hanging out at a BBQ – and we all know that most of the time these types of gatherings involve foods that can irritate and cause pain or discomfort – and no one wants to look like a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day balloon!
Choose carefully and wisely and if possible, bring your own food! If you can’t bring your own food, keep my grocery list handy on your smartphone. Here are some tips!
- Many sausages are made with onions and garlic – stick to chicken, turkey or fish which are also lean!
- Stick to mustard, mayonnaise, and hot sauce for condiments
- Be careful of how much fat you consume as too much fat can disrupt your gut motility (preventing normal bowel movements)
- If you absolutely HAVE to drink, stick to clear alcohol like vodka or gin (and please only have one drink ladies, and two max for men)
- If you are gluten-free, many store-made potato salads contain wheat flour (I figured this out while at a BBQ recently!)
- Watermelon, popular at BBQs, is high in FODMAPs (I know, darn!)
- Opt for low Fodmap fruits for dessert instead of cakes, cupcakes and other desserts
Have a great time and don’t stress yourself out – but just make the best choices possible. Whether you are in the elimination phase for the Low Fodmap Diet or you already know which HIGH FODMAPs cause you problems – celebrations or parties are hard for anyone with a digestive disorder. And eating several different types of foods during one occasion, OR fatty foods, OR alcohol, OR foods that are high in FODMAPs OR foods that have added condiments and sauces – eeeekkk! I know, it’s hard for us! Be good to your body this weekend