Lobster Mac n’ Cheese
Lobster Mac n’ Cheese
Low-FODMAP, gluten-free, wheat-free (can be dairy free)
Write a review
- 1 Lobster tail
- 1 lb. wheat-free, gluten-free pasta noodles like Tinkyada Rice Pasta
- 3 T. nutritional yeast
- ½ t. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup unrefined olive oil or coconut oil
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill sweet rice flour
- 2 ¾ cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 t. rice vinegar like Marukan
- ½ cup cheese shreds (cheddar, Colby, havarti all low-FODMAP). Or use dairy-free cheese.
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the gluten-free pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- The Sauce – Using a small bowl, combine the nutritional yeast and sea salt and set aside. Heat the olive oil or coconut oil over medium-low heat. Whisk in the sweet rice flour and continue whisking constantly for 3-5 minutes or until the flour smells toasty but hasn't browned. In a steady stream, whisk in the almond milk, stirring constantly. Add in the nutritional yeast mixture, and the rice vinegar, and cook for three minutes more or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Add in cheese shreds and mix until well incorporated.
- The lobster – bring 2 cups salted water to a boil in a 1-2 quart saucepan. Add the lobster tail. Simmer, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until shells turn bright red and the meat is tender when poked with a fork. The lobster meat will be hot so carefully remove from the shell, making a cut down the middle of the tail and pulling the meat out. Chop up the lobster into chunks.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and cook for just a minute or two more to reheat the pasta. Stir in the lobster and then sprinkle on the paprika. Serve immediately, serving with freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
*Some tips for this recipe
- If using almond milk buy a brand that doesn’t use carrageenan, which is said to trigger gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden foods or food allergens that apply to your health and diet.